NAS is a clinical diagnosis that is the result of the discontinuation of fetal exposure to addictive drugs that the mother used during pregnancy. Breastfeeding is acceptable for infants diagnosed with NAS, unless the mother continues to take addictive drugs, is involved in polydrug abuse, has HIV or other contradictive conditions or habits.
- Texas WIC Online Class: What is Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome? (English)
- Texas WIC Online Class: What is Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome? (Spanish)
- Find a Substance Use Program Center in Texas
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence
- March of Dimes
- Find Your Local Mental Health or Behavioral Health Authority
- Baby Blog on Mother to Baby